Advice Zone - for young people
Safety on the streets
You should feel safe and happy when you are out and about. These are some tips on personal safety to keep in mind:
- Tell someone where you are going, and when they can expect you back.
- Agree you will send a text to let them know you have arrived safety.
- Avoid unlit streets and shortcuts
- Walk confidently, even if you don't feel confident
- Keep your phone or other expensive electronic gear on silent to avoid drawing attention to it
- Trust your instincts. If you think something looks dodgy, back away and go somewhere you feel safe and can call someone to come and meet you.
This booklet on travelling safely to and from school was prepared by young people across Europe who took part in a project on safety for young people.
If you are being subjected to any bullying, tell an adult you can trust. Don't suffer in silence. Every school has a policy against bullying and it can be sorted out very effectively.
Here are links to more information on bullying.