Click to listen

Online rent

is currently unavailable for essential maintenance

Strathaven Cemetery

Strathaven Cemetery | South Lanarkshire Council
CemeteryStrathaven Cemetery
AddressStonehouse Road
TownStrathaven
PostcodeML10 6LF
Phone0303 123 1016
Email bereavement.services@southlanarkshire.gov.uk
AreaEast Kilbride
DescriptionThe cemetery opened in 1659 although legend has it that it has been a burial ground for over 900 years. Four distinct sections make up the cemetery and lairs can only be purchased at the time of burial within this cemetery. The cemetery has links with the covenanting trail. In 1820 James 'Pearly' Wilson and other radicals took up weapons and marched to Cathkin to protest at the Corn Laws that had driven up the cost of food. These Laws had caused great hardship amongst the Strathaven Weavers. He was arrested and charged and found guilty of high treason and hanged at Glasgow Green. His body was dug up and brought back to Strathaven where a monument in his memory was erected adjacent to the cemetery with the aid of public subscriptions. There are records dating back to 1875 available.
Visiting timesThere is open access to the grounds of the cemetery at all times
Map