Archives and records
County Council of the County of Lanark
For much of the 20th century South Lanarkshire fell within the large area governed by the County Council of the County of Lanark (1890-1974). These records are held, in the main, by Glasgow City Archives.
The establishment of County Councils in the late 19th century looked to simplify local government as the County Councils took over many functions delivered by small, single-purpose bodies. By 1929 Lanark County Council was responsible for the provision of major services such as education, roads and housing.
Full details of these records can be accessed via the Scottish Archive Network.
A small number of records are held by us.
These include the records of:
- Commissioners of Supply 1724-1757
- Carluke Parish 1899
- East Kilbride Parish 1900-1930
- Lesmahagow Parish 1896-1938
- Records of the District Council of the Second District including minutes 1930-1975
- poor relief records 1930-1948
- financial records 1942-1967
- cemetery records 1901-1975
In addition, Lanark Library holds sets of minutes and reports of the County Council and related District Councils.