Allotments and food growing
Allotments and community growing areas encourage healthy lifestyles through growing your own food and taking regular exercise, as well as improving mental wellbeing. Allotments are also very sociable places to be and can be small communities in themselves.
We own and manage two formal allotment sites:
- Allers in East Kilbride (90 plots)
- Richmond in Rutherglen (17 plots)
However because of their popularity there is a lengthy waiting list and although we have provisionally identified possible sites, progress is on hold due to the impending Community Empowerment Bill which may legislate on future provision.
We work with a local management committee for each site and each year allotment holders sign an annual lease, accepting responsibility for their plots and agreeing to adhere to the rules and regulations. Regular inspections are undertaken and failing to keep your allotment up to an acceptable standard may result in your lease being terminated.
The charges are as follows:
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot £27.35
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot concession £17.70
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot £14
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot concession £8.70
- Richmond Allotments, Rutherglen full plot £8.40, no concessions
To be eligible for a concession at Allers Allotments you must be 60 years or over.
Payments can be made by cheque to Facilities, Waste and Grounds Service or by card by phoning the Customer Service Centre on 0303 123 1020.
- Food growing projects