School clothing grants and free school meals
Free school meals
If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from us there is no need for you to apply online, we will use the information we hold to automatically award free school meals (P4 to S6) and/or school clothing grants (P1 to S6) to eligible families.
All school children in primaries 1 - 3 receive free school meals.
If you have a child in primary 4 - 7 or in secondary who attends a South Lanarkshire school they are entitled to free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Universal Credit (and your earned income is less than £610 as assessed by the Department for Work and Pensions in the assessment period immediately preceding the application for free school meals)
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit (with a gross annual income less than £16,105 as assessed by HM Revenues and Customs on your Tax Credit Award Notice TC602)
- Working Tax Credit and Child Tax credit (with a gross annual income less than £6,515 as assessed by HM Revenues and Customs on your Tax Credit Award Notice (TC602)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
How to apply
If you are receiving Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit we will need to see a copy of your Tax Credit Award Notice (TC602) or your Universal Credit decision letter or online journal. You can attach a scan or photograph of this with your online application form, or post a copy to Finance and Corporate Resources, Systems and Control Team, PO Box 3591, Glasgow G73 9ED.
Please note: copies of notices will not be returned to you. Please do not send in original documents, as these will not be returned to you.
Free school meals could save you approximately £314 per academic year. Entitlement can be checked at schools from the beginning of term.
If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from us, do not complete our online application. We will use the information we hold to automatically award free school meals to eligible families.
- School clothing grants
- Free school meals