South Lanarkshire rent deposit guarantee scheme
If you are homeless, or at risk of homelessness, our rent deposit scheme helps you rent from a private landlord. Landlords often ask for a cash deposit before they agree to let but the rent deposit scheme gives a written guarantee of a responsibility instead.
The guarantee covers:
- damage to the property, furnishings or anything listed on the inventory beyond normal wear and tear
It doesn't cover:
- fair wear and tear
- rent in advance
- unpaid gas/electricity bills
- service or utilities charges such as heating or stair lighting
- rent due if the tenant leaves the property without giving notice
To qualify you must be:
- have approached South Lanarkshire Council for housing options and advice and are considered to be a risk of homelessness or have made a formal application to South Lanarkshire Council and have been assessed as homeless
- be able to afford the rent (taking into account any entitlement to local housing allowance)
- unable to find the cash for a deposit
- have a local connection to South Lanarkshire
- commit to a saving s plan in order to save the deposit over an agreed period (usually 6-12 months)
Applying to the scheme
The scheme only accepts referrals made by a housing officer from South Lanarkshire Council. Make a housing options appointment with your local housing office to discuss being referred.
The scheme could find a property for you but if you find your own property, the Scheme will contact the landlord to ask if they'll accept the guarantee.