Drug treatment and testing orders
South Lanarkshire Justice Services manage the Drug Treatment and Testing Orders for both North and South Lanarkshire, covering Hamilton, Airdrie, Lanark and Glasgow Sheriff Courts. The team is based in Hamilton and has social workers, substance misuse workers and a medical team who work across Lanarkshire.
Drug Treatment and Testing Orders (DTTOs) used by the Courts if someone's drug dependency problems are a significant cause of their offending. DTTOs can range from six months to three years and are only used if the person is at risk of receiving a custodial sentence.
The emphasis of a DTTO is on drugs treatment as the main way of reducing offending behaviour.
The objectives are to:
- reduce or stop an offender's dependency or the likelihood of misusing drugs
- achieve positive changes in the scale of and frequency of drug related offending
The offender has to agree to:
- treatment to tackle their drug problems
- regular drug testing
- frequent meetings with their social worker and substance misuse worker
- regular review hearings by the court
For more information please phone 0303 123 1008 and ask to speak to a member of the Drug Treatment and Testing Orders Team.