Click to listen

Care costs and advice for people moving to care homes

Care costs and benefits advice for people moving to care homes

If you want to move into a residential or nursing home and think you may need financial help now or in the future, you should arrange a care assessment.

If a care home is the best way forward we will contribute between £253 and £689.73 towards nursing care and £174 - £593.89 for residential care, depending on your income and category of dependency.

From 1 June 2017, if you have savings of more than £27,000 you may be entitled to free personal/nursing care payments (£253 for nursing care and £174 for residential care). If you have savings less than £27,000 or are on a low income you may be entitled to public funding.

If you choose a care home that costs more than this contribution, you must pay the difference - so check the rates and any additional charges before making your final decision.

Even if you pay for your stay yourself, a care assessment will help work out what you qualify for and if you are likely to need financial help in the future.

You can download a copy of our financial assessment form, complete it and return it to your local social work office.