Disability living allowance
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit for people under 65 who become ill or disabled:
- if you need help with personal care - you might qualify for the personal care part of DLA
- if you need help with mobility, you might qualify for the mobility element
- if you need personal care and help with mobility - you might qualify for both
To qualify for DLA for personal care, you must have been disabled for at least three months and continue to require help for a further six months.
Personal care means you need help with washing (getting in or out of the shower/bath), dressing, eating, getting to and using the toilet. You may also need looked after to keep yourself and others safe.
There are three rates for the care component of DLA:
- low rate - if you need help with personal care for some of the day or can't prepare a cooked meal (£21.00)
- middle rate - if you need help with personal care part of the day or only at night (£53.00)
- high rate care - if you need help during the day and night (£79.15)
To receive the mobility component of the DLA you must:
- be unable, or virtually unable, to walk but need guidance or supervision from another person when you are in an unfamiliar place
- need guidance or supervision from another person when walking outdoors
The mobility component includes two rates:
- low rate mobility (£21.00) - if you can walk but need guidance or supervision from another person when you are in an unfamiliar places
- high rate mobility (£55.25) - if you can't walk at all, or only walk a short distance without severe discomfort
Disability Living Allowance can be paid in addition to almost any other benefit such as state pension and income support.
If you have a terminal illness you can claim straight away.
For more information contact your local Money Matters office or call the Benefits enquiry line.
Benefits enquiry line
The Benefit Enquiry Line is open 8.30 am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday. You can also contact them using textphone on 0800 24 33 55.
Phone: 0800 88 22 00