Published Friday, 29 June 2018
Major investment for our roads in the East Kilbride and Rutherglen areas are set to get underway next week.
As part of our £126million Roads Investment Programme, these improvement works have been planned to take place during the school summer holidays when traffic flows are significantly lighter, reducing the impact of road closures and associated diversions.
The timetable for the works are:
- Monday 2 – Friday 6 July: A749 Kingsway between Mavor roundabout and Whirlies (southbound only – towards Whirlies)
- Monday 9 – Sunday 22 July: Westwoodhill, East Kilbride (entire carriageway)
- Monday 30 July – Friday 3 August – A749 Glasgow Road, Cathkin (northbound only from opposite Greenlees Road to Cathkin Bypass)
- Sunday 5 – Sunday 12 August – Murray Road, East Kilbride (A726 Queensway to Murray shops)
- Monday 6 – Friday 10 August – East Main Street, Rutherglen
- Monday 13 – Friday 17 August – A730 Mill Street, Rutherglen
Councillor John Anderson, the chair of the council's Community and Enterprise Resources Committee, said: “These works are essential to improve the road surfaces on a longer-term basis and, unfortunately, can’t be carried out without some inconvenience to road users.
“We would ask that anyone travelling in any of the areas during the times mentioned pays particular attention to the diversion routes which will be clearly signposted. Every effort will be made to complete these improvements as early as possible to allow the roads to be reopened to traffic.”