Published Tuesday, 11 December 2018
More than 50 over 50s have turned out for a special birthday exercise session to celebrate two years of Active Mondays.
East Kilbride’s John Wright Sports Centre was the venue and fitness, friendship, fun and cake were all on the menu as Forward at Fifty, Seniors Together, the Council and South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture celebrated the success of the healthy lifestyle initiative.
While Active Mondays on Monday mornings at John Wright Sports Centre is still going from strength to strength the programme is now so popular with older people across South Lanarkshire that it is has grown across the week from Monday to Saturday.
Donald Bulloch, the chair of Forward@Fifty said: “Active Mondays was built on a simple formula that has proved incredibly popular and just keeps going from strength-to-strength. We offer an opportunity to get out of the house, take some exercise, meet up with friends, make new ones and then face the rest of the week refreshed and ready to go.”
And Older People’s Champion, Councillor Jim McGuigan, added: “Active Mondays at John Wright Sports Centre regularly sees 50, 60 or even close to 70 people coming along to take part in the weekly sessions.
“Those attending are reporting less visits to the GP, better health and happiness and a more active all-round lifestyle so it is a programme that is benefitting the individuals taking part and the wider community by reducing demand on health and social care services.”
The full list of Active days events specifically designed for older adults is as follows:
- Active Mondays: John Wright Sports Centre, 01355 237731
- Active Tuesdays: Blantyre Leisure Centre, 01698 727800; Alistair McCoist Complex, 01355 265696; Blackwood sports Centre, 01555 896638
- Active Wednesdays: Larkhall Leisure Centre, 01698 881742
- Culture Wednesdays: John Wright Sports Centre, 01355 237731
- Active Thursdays: Jock Stein Centre, 01698 828488; John Wright Sports Centre, 01355 237731
- Active Fridays: Carluke Leisure Centre, 01555 751384; Low Parks Museum, 01698 452382; Active Friday: Bowling Pavilion, Hamilton Palace grounds, 01698 424101
- Active Saturdays: Uddingston Sports Centre, 01698 805055
More information on the times for Active days and leisure for older adults across South Lanarkshire are on the SLLC website