Are you prepared for winter?
Published Friday, 21 October 2011
This week we’ve been giving advice on what you can do to be prepared for severe winter weather.
Here are some of the things we've looked at:
- 45% of the total road network will be gritted - mainly our most important routes including all A-class roads. See our gritting routes
- if you need a grit bin refilled, please contact us. You can find your nearest one with this handy grit bins map
- footpaths in residential areas will generally not be gritted - try and keep the area outside your property as clear as possible. Perhaps help an elderly or less able neighbour as well. See our advice on clearing snow and ice from footpaths
- get the latest weather updates for South Lanarkshire and when we plan to start gritting on our weather and planned actions page
Chair of South Lanarkshire Council's Enterprise Resources Committee, Councillor Chris Thompson, said: "Hopefully people have found the advice we have been issuing throughout this winter awareness week helpful.
"However, I would reiterate the message that there may be occasions when the power of Mother Nature is greater than anything we have at our disposal.
"The most important thing I would like to say to everyone is stay safe - show the weather the respect it deserves."
For more information see our Roads in winter pages:
- When will the gritters be out?
- Gritting routes
- Grit bins
- Salt levels and how salt works
- Advice on clearing snow and ice from footpaths
- Winter driving tips
See also Ready Winter from the Scottish Government.