First meeting of new Council takes place
Published Thursday, 17 May 2012
The first statutory meeting of the full Council welcoming the new administration was held today in the Council Chamber.
A total of 67 councillors were elected to represent the 20 wards comprising South Lanarkshire Council at the Local Government Election on May 3.
At the full Council meeting Councillor Eileen Logan was unanimously appointed as Provost and Eddie McAvoy was unanimously returned as Council Leader.
Councillor Pam Clearie was appointed as Depute Provost and Councillor Jackie Burns was appointed as Depute Leader.
Councillors also approved the establishment of the Council's Decision-making Arrangements and Procedures, including the new committee structure.
The Resource Committee appointments are as follows:
- the newly merged Finance and Corporate Resources Committee chaired by Gerry Convery will have two depute chairs Walter Brogan and Margaret Cooper
- Community Services will be chaired by Hamish Stewart and Depute Chair will be George Greenshields
- Education Resources will be chaired by Jean McKeown with Depute Chair Brian McKenna
- Enterprise Services will be chaired by Chris Thompson with Depute Chair Graham Simpson
- Housing and Technical Resources which incorporates the former Estates Committee will be chaired by Alex McInnes with Depute Chair Monica Lennon
- Social Work Resources will be chaired by Jim Handibode with Depute Chair Lynsey Hamilton
- Planning Committee will be chaired by Hugh Dunsmuir with Depute Chair Jackie Burns
- The Licensing Committee will be chaired by Maureen Devlin with Depute Chair Janice McGinlay
- Davie McLachlan will continue as Spokesperson for Youth
- Business Manager Jim Docherty will chair the Conference Allocation Committee with Depute Chair Jackie Burns
The Area Committee Chairs and Depute Chairs are as follows:
- Clydesdale Area chaired by Catherine McClymont with Depute Chair Ralph Barker
- Hamilton Area Chaired by John McNamee with Depute Chair Davie McLachlan
- Rutherglen and Cambuslang Area chaired by Russell Clearie with Depute Chair Richard Tullett
- East Kilbride Chaired by Alice Marie Mitchell with depute chair Susan Kerr.
Remember you can check when meetings are taking place and download agendas, reports and minutes from our Councillors and Committees section.