Working towards or sitting exams can be a stressful experience. As this year’s exams begin on 30 April 2018, we have some helpful advice for young people and their parents on how to prepare and cope.
In South Lanarkshire, schools provide a range of well recognised and successful approaches to support pupils in preparing for exams. These include the importance of planning ahead, study skills and techniques, self relaxation and supported study. Information sharing events are also arranged for parents to enable them to know how they can help their child with preparations for study and exam technique.
- Targeted support for individual pupils
- Study support – often at lunch time or after school
- Mentoring programmes
- Stress-busting workshops and drop-in sessions
Here are a few tips on coping with exam stress:
- Switch off distractions like your phone, ipod, PC/tablet or TV
- Take time out during your studying
- Get plenty of sleep - try not to study too late into the night
- Look after yourself - eat and drink healthily, avoid too much caffeine and sugar as this can affect concentration
- Stick to fulfilling your potential and on what you can achieve not other people’s expectations
- Be positive – tell yourself you can do it! Try an affirmation like “I will do my very best – I can do this.”
- Talk to people about how you feel
Your school website may also have more study tips and advice on exam stress.
Exam day tips
- Be on time
- Make sure you have all the equipment you need
- Instructions are your friend – listen to any instructions given by the invigilators and read the instructions on the exam papers.
- Answer the question in front of you – not what you think you’ve been asked
- Use your time wisely
- Try to write neatly
- Do the best you can – you will get marks for being partly right even if you’re not completely right.
- Concentrate on what you know rather than what you don’t know.
- Show your workings and don’t leave blanks (an attempt or a guess is better than nothing).
Remember – there is life after exam results!
Although the exams are really important to you, all you can do is your best. There was a life before exams and there will be afterwards.
- Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)
- BBC exams stress
- Mind.Org - exams stress
- Childline - exams stress