Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Our online rent service

is currently under maintenance, apologies for any inconvenience

How to make a planning application

Dropping in or making an appointment

During office hours you can contact to our Planning and Building Standards office for general information.

You will be able to:

  • get advice on whether you need planning permission or how to object to an application
  • find out how to complete a planning application and how much it will cost
  • find out if you live in a conservation area, if a building is listed or if there is a tree preservation order in place
  • get general information that doesn't involve speaking to a planning officer

What if your question can't be answered?

We will always try to answer your questions when you visit us. If we can't give you an answer there and then we'll give you a date when we will get back to you.

We cannot guarantee that planning permission will be given or refused. Any information or advice that we give does not bind or prejudice our actions or decisions in any way.

Need it in writing?

If you need proof of any discussion with us, please write to the officer. We will reply to your letter within 10 working days. If it is a complex issue it may take longer than 10 days to give you a full response.

Service standards

Details of our service standards are in the Development Management Charter and Planning enforcement charter - a guide to enforcing planning controls.

For more information please see our video on Conversions and extensions  and /or contact our Planning and Building Standards office.