Rent arrears

Falling behind with your rent can lead to your landlord taking action against your tenancy and ultimately may lead to you being evicted. 

You should take advice as soon as possible.

If you are a South Lanarkshire Council tenant and are experiencing difficulties with paying your rent on time, please refer to our page on problems paying rent and contact your Housing Officer immediately at your local housing office for further help and advice.

You can now check your rent account balance online using myaccount

If you are a tenant of a private landlord or other social landlord and have rent arrears, you should speak to a money advisor or solicitor as soon as possible to find out what options you have and how to deal with your landlord.

Our Money Matters Service can also give you independent and confidential advice if you are facing debt problems or need advice on welfare benefits, please contact Money Matters on 0303 123 1008 between 10am and 3pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) or by email for Hamilton, East Kilbride, Cambuslang and Rutherglen, Larkhall and Lanark

Online referral forms to Benefits or Debt are now available which you can submit at any time of the day. The forms take a few minutes to complete and once submitted to us a member of staff will contact you as soon as possible.

There are laws protecting homeowners and tenants who fall behind with payments.

Help is also currently available to both social and private tenants whose finances or employment has been  impacted by Covid-19 and who have no other means of housing support. The Scottish Government Tenant Hardship Loan Fund  offers interest free loans to tenants who are in rent arrears and who meet certain criteria.