Children's benefits

Disability living allowance

This is for children and adults with disabilities and is divided into two parts:

  • mobility - for children aged 3+ who have physical difficulties, or from age 5 who need guidance or supervision, when walking outdoors. The care and mobility needs must be substantially more than those needed by a child of the same age with no disabilities.
  • care - for people who have personal care needs. This can be paid to children from the age of three months, or from birth if diagnosed with a terminal illness

Income related employment and support allowance

This can be paid from the age of 16 to 20, or in some cases up to the age of 25, if you are unable to work due to illness or disability. Even if you go to school or college, as long as you can show you only have 21 hours or less a week of supervised study, you may be eligible (it may sometimes be given even if you have more hours).