Eco Stars Fleet Recognition Scheme
ECO Stars Fleet Recognition Scheme
We have a FREE ECO Stars Fleet Recognition Scheme which is operated on our behalf by TRL. The scheme encourages and helps operators of HGVs, buses, coaches, vans and taxis to run fleets in the most efficient and green way help reduce pollution in our towns and neighbourhoods.
The scheme recognises good operational practices, and gives guidance for making improvements. The aim is to reduce fuel consumption, which ultimately leads to fewer vehicle emissions, reducing pollution and has the added benefit of saving money.
Members are awarded an ECO Star rating when they first join – ranging from 1 star to 5 stars – based on an assessment of your current operational and environmental performance. One of our ECO Stars team (all industry experts with years of transport experience) rates each individual vehicle and how the fleet is run as a whole.
The ECO Stars assessment is based on six key pillars which make up fleet operational efficiency.
- basic engine standard
- fuel type used
- additional fuel saving or measuring technology fitted
- monitoring fuel consumption and spend
- having a designated “fuel champion”
- raising fuel efficiency awareness
Drive skills development
- training in safe and fuel efficient driving technique
- driver fuel incentive schemes
- performance league tables
Vehicle specification and preventative maintenance
- whole life costs considered when buying vehicles
- robust servicing and maintenance programme
- regular tyre inspection and wheel alignment checking
IT support systems
- routing and scheduling systems
- use of telematics monitoring of driver and vehicle performance
Performance monitoring and management
- use of key performance indicators to record and report driver and vehicle efficiency
- setting targets for continuous improvement
The next step is a bespoke “Road Map” which outlines our findings and contains tailor-made advice to help improve the efficiency of your fleet.
A number of case studies have been compiled to show how ECO Stars can save money whilst helping the environment.
Greggs Edinburgh – sliced £750,000 off running costs. For more information read the ECO Stars Greggs Case Study.