What's a complaint and what's not

What is a complaint?

A complaint is when you tell us that you are not happy with our services. We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us on our behalf.

Complaints can cover all parts of our services. For example, you may complain if we fail to deliver a service, there is a delay, our service is not at the appropriate standard or if you are not happy with the attitude of one of our employees. If you are not happy with our policies, we treat this as a policy complaint and we will consider your comments when reviewing our policies.

What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like:

  • delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  • failure to provide a service
  • our standard of service
  • treatment by or attitude by a member of staff
  • our failure to follow proper procedure
  • council policy
  • if you feel you did not get the service, help or information you expected because of your age, gender, gender identify, race, disability, sexual orientation or religion/belief

What is not a complaint?

There are some things we can't deal with through our complaints handling procedure.

These include: A routine first-time request for a service, for example:

Late uplift or missed bins during the scheduled uplift day as the council's service standard is to uplift bins by the end of the scheduled day rather than a specific time. See the missed bins page for information on what to do if your bin collection has not taken place.

Requests for compensation from the council or other matters to be dealt with under the council’s insurance arrangements - for example, damage to a vehicle, person or property. To make a claim phone 01698 455949 or email claims@southlanarkshire.gov.uk or to make a third party liability claim relating to a road defect - phone 0303 123 1015 for more information.

Complaints against councillors should be referred to The Standards Commission for Scotland.

Public Standards Commissioner,
39 Drumsheugh Gardens,

Phone 0300 0110550

Things that are covered by a right of appeal, for example:

Housing applications – if you are dissatisfied with the level of priority you have been given when applying for a house, you have the right to appeal against the decision. To appeal contact the appropriate area housing office or see How to appeal a decision about your application for further information.

Planning applications - if your planning application is refused, you will have a right to request either an appeal to Scottish Ministers or a review by the planning authorities local review body. Which one depends on the circumstances of the application and the timescale for appeal or review. This will be explained in the correspondence and the decision notice from the planning authority. For more information see planning appeals.

Council Tax Valuations – if you believe your house is incorrectly valued for council tax, you can appeal to the Assessor. Please contact the Lanarkshire Valuation Joint Board, North Stand, Cadzow Avenue, Hamilton ML3 OLU.  Phone 01698 476000 or see their website for further information http://www.lanarkshire-vjb.gov.uk - an appeal can also be lodged online via the Scottish Assessors Association at https://www.saa.gov.uk

Parking tickets – if you wish to appeal a parking charges notice (PCN), you should write to South Lanarkshire Council, Parking Unit, PO Box 26275, Hamilton ML3 OWX.  See Parking fines and appeals for more information.

Factoring – if you are dissatisfied with the outcome of a complaint you have raised with the Council in respect of factoring or common repair charges, you can apply in writing to the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber) for a determination as to whether the Council has failed to carry out its factoring duties or failed to comply with the Code of Conduct introduced by the Property Factors (Scotland) Act 2011.

The First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber)
Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service
Glasgow Tribunals Centre
20 York Street
G2 8GT

Phone: 0141 302 5900

Fax 0141 302 5901

If other procedures or rights of appeal can help you resolve your concerns, we will give information and advice to help you.