BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Council Tax - exemptions, discounts and increases (unoccupied properties)

Advice and information for owners of long term empty properties

There is a range of advice and information available to help owners consider the options available to bring a property back into use.

Selling your property

Citizens Advice Scotland provide a range of information and advice on how to sell your property, including how to obtain a Home Report, Energy Performance certificates and the conveyancing process.

The Scottish Empty Homes Partnership provide a range of information and advice for empty homes owners.

Renting your property

If you are considering renting out your property, information and advice on being a landlord in Scotland is available on the Scottish Government website.

All private landlords renting out residential property in Scotland must be registered in the national Register of Landlords.

The Landlord Accreditation Scotland (LAS) offers training for landlords in the private rented sector. LAS can also assist with information on how to identify an accredited Letting Agent.

The Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL) provides information and advice on the Scottish private rented sector.

Empty homes - serious disrepair

South Lanarkshire Council operates a HomeImprove Service, providing advice and assistance to owners within properties in serious disrepair. Complete the form below for further assistance regarding home improvements. 

The council has very limited resources to purchase property for sale on the market and these are targeted to the purchase of specific property types and locations to meet housing need priorities in South Lanarkshire's Local Housing Strategy.

To be considered, a property must:

  • fall within one of the priority categories set by the council, and
  • be of a size and type that is required to meet identified local housing needs

The scheme is targeted towards the purchase of ex-council stock in areas of high demand. More information on buy back of properties is available on our Market Purchase Scheme page.

To discuss your property’s eligibility or report an empty home, please go to our Empty Homes page for more information and contact details.