Carbon emissions, also known as greenhouse gases, which are produced from the council's activities are measured. Since 2005/06 our emissions have reduced by 12.7% and we plan to reduce a further 2% each year.
The council's Carbon Management Group oversees the activities from the following areas:
- energy use in buildings
- domestic waste sent to landfill sites
- street and festive lighting
- fleet vehicles
- staff travel
Everyone should think about reducing their carbon emissions, also known as your carbon footprint. To help you achieve this and save money on your bills you could:
- turn off lights and electrical appliances when not needed
- insulate your home to ensure energy is not wasted
- reduce your thermostat and make sure you understand your heating controls
- walk or cycle for short journeys where possible
- plan your meals to avoid food waste and consider home composting
- think about repairing items rather than buying new
The council supports the global WWF campaigns each year and encourages as many people and businesses to also think about ways to be more sustainable. Please also see our page on what you can do to help the planet.