Tenant Grant Fund

Tenant Grant Fund for tenants in social housing and the private rented sector

The Scottish Government set up a £10 million Tenant Grant Fund to be shared across councils to help tenants in social housing and the private rented sector, who are struggling financially and have fallen behind with their rent as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The South Lanarkshire allocation from the fund has been administered by the council. The aim is to help tenants to reduce or pay off rent arrears by awarding them a grant, which will be paid directly to their landlord to be credited to their rent account. The grant does not have to be repaid and the tenant must agree to maintain payments to their rent account going forward.

The Scottish Government have set the following eligibility criteria for the grant:

  • the grant is available to tenants who rent from a private landlord
  • rent arrears must have been accrued between 23 March 2020 to 9 August 2021
  • the tenant is at risk of becoming homeless
  • the grant is targeted at vulnerable individuals or households who do not have other sources of support
  • payment to a landlord will only be made where the landlord agrees that any ongoing proceedings to end the tenancy will be stopped

Applications for council and RSL tenants are now closed due to the allocated funding being fully utilised.  Applications for Private Rented Sector Tenants remain open.

How to access the Tenant Grant Fund

If you are a tenant in the private rented sector and you would like to discuss whether you may be eligible to receive a grant, please contact Right There by email slrds@rightthere.org or phone 0141 565 1200. Right There are working with the council to assess tenants in the private rented sector who may be eligible to receive a grant.

If you are a private landlord who has a tenant in financial difficulty, please also contact Right There for advice and assistance.

If you are an advice agency working with a tenant who is in financial difficulty and you think they may be eligible to receive a grant, please contact Right There for assistance

Local housing office

Our offices are closed until further notice. If you need to contact us the best way to do this is by email or phone. Please note our phone lines don't open until 11am on a Wednesday.

Phone: 0303 123 1012


Phone: 0141 565 1200
Email: Ypeople