This is a one-year training course run for people with a learning disability who are working towards finding a job. It is run in Hairmyres Hospital and was developed to complement the work of the Work it Out Programme.
The partners responsible for Project Search in South Lanarkshire are:
- NHS Lanarkshire
- ISS Facility Services, Healthcare
- South Lanarkshire Council ‘Work it Out’
- New College Lanarkshire
How it works
The courses run during September to June, five days a week, Monday to Friday.
Students complete two or three work placements called rotations, and each rotation lasts 10 weeks. Rotations on offer to students at the hospital include housekeeping, pharmacy, administration, facilities maintenance, reception, catering and many more.
If you would like to take part in Project Search you must:
- be aged 18-24 years at the start of the programme
- show you can get on with other people
- look clean and tidy at all times
- have a learning disability
- live in South Lanarkshire
- be able to travel independently to Hairmyres Hospital
To apply email Project.SEARCH@southlanarkshire.gov.uk
Benefits to the host employer of Project Search
Feedback from evaluations include:
- benefiting from an enthusiastic, motivated and fully trained member of staff
- Project SEARCH has saved the host employer money in both recruitment and overtime payments
- host employers have won prestigious awards
- business reputation has been enhanced as a disability friendly company
- that the host employer has developed its corporate responsibility by giving a person with a disability an opportunity to have a rewarding job in their own community and be more independent
Could you be a host employer in South Lanarkshire?
It is crucial that the host employer, further education college and supported employment service work in partnership to develop a Project Search site.
This would mean that your company would need to consider:
- the programme must be business led
- you would be able to participate without subsidy
- a business liaison in your company would need to be identified to be actively involved with crucial decision making, including site development, placement development, recruitment of students
- your company would need to employ a minimum of 200 employees to be able to offer a variety of placements
- you would be able to provide an on-site classroom
- you would adhere to the programme fidelity model