Permits to occupy a road, footway or verge

You need a permit if you're going to have building materials placed on a road or put up scaffolding.

Some types of building work need planning permission and/or a building warrant. You can get these from Planning and building standards before you apply for the scaffolding permit.

How to apply

Fill out an occupation of a road application form and return it to any roads office. You should include a sketch showing the where on the road you'll be putting materials or scaffolding.

If you want to put up scaffolding, you must get the scaffolding company and the site foreman (or equivalent) to sign the form.

How the application is dealt with

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted so tacit consent will not be given.

If you haven't heard from us within 28 days contact Enterprise Resources and we'll let you know about your application's progress.

Can anyone object?


How much does it cost?

Without scaffolding - £60 for 14-day period

With scaffolding - £60 for 14-day period