Click to listen

Councillors and Committees website

is unavailable from 2-4.30pm on Tuesday 18 December for essential maintenance


Short breaks for carers

All our information pages in respect of Carers and caring are undergoing a refresh to capture the new rights carers can benefit from through the Carers (Scotland) Act 2016.

Carers tell us that a break from caring is crucial to their emotional and physical health.  Short breaks can take many forms and is traditionally known as 'respite'.

Carers very often know what type of break would meet their needs best.  This could be the opportunity to have a few hours break each week; it could be a planned break for several days each year or the break could take the form of a few weeks.  Breaks should be planned where possible allowing the best support for the cared-for person to be accessed.

In an emergency situation, Social Work Resources will arrange support which could be in the form of residential care or support in the home.  In an emergency situation, carers and service users can contact their local social work office or the Emergency Social Work Service.

What types of short break are available?

Each carer's break will be different but the main types of break are:

  • Residential - where the person you provide care for stays in a care home to give you a break from your caring role (this offers care over a 24 hour period)
  • A joint break - allowing you and the person you provide care for to have a break away together or with family members
  • A break away from home - where paid carers (perhaps through a care agency) may support the person requiring care to remain in their own home, allowing you to go away
  • Time out from the routine - this could be for a few hours allowing you to take part in leisure opportunities/hobbies whilst the service user is supported in their own home

Funding a short break

There is a range of ways to pay for a short break.  Breaks can be funded by Social Work Resources as a result of an assessment.  Enquiries should be made via your local social work office.    If, as a carer you receive an individual budget to arrange a short break as the result of your own assessment, you can decide which of the self-directed support funding options to choose.

Some carers may choose to privately pay for a break or top up for funding offered by Social Work Resources to meet the cost of a chosen break.

Funding can also be obtained for a short break through a range of charitable organisations such as :

There is a range of organisations that offer accessible accommodation/accessible forms of transport for people with disabilities.  Enquiries can be made via Lanarkshire Carers Centre or Shared Care Scotland.