Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice

Benefits and money advice

There is a lot of information being shared, particularly on social media, about Universal Credit. Some of it may be inaccurate.

In some circumstances there may be other options available to you - once you claim Universal Credit you will not be able to go back onto Tax Credits, Housing Benefit and other benefits. Also if you have savings/capital of £16,000 or more you will not qualify for any Universal Credit payments.

For example, if you currently receive Working Tax Credit and stop working or have reduced hours, you can continue to receive your Working Tax Credit for four weeks.  

This is extended to six months if you are awarded Statutory Sick Pay, Employment and Support Allowance or are receiving National Insurance credits because you are unable to work due to ill health.

If you receive Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction, you can report the reduction in your income and your entitlement will increase. 

Universal Credit may be the only option available but the timing of claiming is important to ensure maximum entitlement is awarded.

We have online forms for benefits advice and debt advice enquiries through the Money Matters Advice Service.

Welfare Benefits are complex if you want advice about what and when you should claim or debt related advice please contact Money Matters on 0303 123 1008 between 10am and 3pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) or email Hamilton, East Kilbride, Cambuslang and Rutherglen, Larkhall and Lanark.