Click to listen

Services unavailable

- Online payments until 11am Wed 26 June - Planning/Building Standards Portal from 8-10am on Wed 26 June

Substance misuse

Are you worried about someone with problems with alcohol and/or drugs?

If you want help with a drug or alcohol problem, or you are worried about someone who has problems with alcohol and/or drugs, you can submit an online social work enquiry form.

The misuse of drugs, alcohol and other substances can seriously affect the wellbeing of individuals, families and communities. It is a fact that the person with the substance misuse problem is not the only person who suffers. Families and other loved ones often suffer significantly too. Jan Ligon, PhD has written a useful article "Dealing with the effects of Substance Abuse on families" on how families can help themselves and, in the process, help their substance misusing loved one.

When working with families affected by alcohol and/or drugs, we have to consider the impact this has on children. The welfare of children should always come first so any assessment will consider children you live with or have caring responsibilities for.

Related content

  1. Are you worried about someone with problems with alcohol and/or drugs?
  2. What is the Substance Misuse Service?
  3. Accessing the service
  4. Other services and information

Social work enquiries

For calls during office hours

Phone: 0303 123 1008

Social work emergency service

For emergencies outwith office hours

Phone: 0303 123 1008
Email: Social work emergency service