BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Advice for landlords and letting agents

Anyone who lets residential furnished accommodation, including houses, flats, bedsits, holiday homes, etc, in the course of a business is subject to a range of safety legislation made under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.

Additionally, when a property is to be sold or let, the prospective tenant must be supplied with an Energy Performance Certificate outlining the buildings energy efficiency and consumption. 

Letting agents and landlords should also be aware of the Safety of goods in furnished accommodation as this also sits within the Consumer Protection Act 1987.

This guidance outlines the main requirements and obligations of letting agents, estate agents and landlords when letting property.

Due to the variety of possible scenarios not all statutes are noted. However, further detailed advice on the full range of requirements is available free by contacting Trading Standards

You can also obtain a tailor made advice pack from our business advice pack facility.