The Countryside and Greenspace Service supports volunteers in the outdoors in many ways. We work closely with a number of groups to help with funding, become constituted, run events and carry out practical site improvements. We work more generally with many other groups across South Lanarkshire to provide regular information, events and training courses through our Environmental Volunteers Network.
We produce an Environmental volunteer network newsletter twice a year which provides updates on groups and sites, as well as projects and funding information.
We help with regular conservation work days with groups such as the Cadzow Crew who operate in various places, including Cadzow Glen and South Haugh in Hamilton. There are also events and hands-on practical days organised at sites across South Lanarkshire throughout the year.
If you would like to join our network of volunteers, find out about a community group near you or would like any more information you can email us. You can also check out what’s happening on our Facebook page.
Many conservation organisations in the UK look for support from volunteers. Here are just a few:
- The Conservation Volunteers
- Community Action Lanarkshire
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
- Scottish Wildlife Trust
- Citizen science information, projects and apps are listed on Scotland’s Environment website
- Nature Scot
- National Trust for Scotland
- Jobs, volunteer opportunities and training courses can also be found at the Countryside Jobs Service