Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Houses in multiple occupation

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is the only or main house of three or more people from three or more families and includes shared houses, flats and bedsits, or lodgings.

It also applies to all residential accommodation such as hostels, student halls of residence and staff accommodation in hostels or hospitals.

If you own such a property you must apply for a licence every year.

More information about the legislation is in the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 not the Civic Government(Scotland) Act.

How to apply

If you need an application form, please email the team with your name and address and a form will be posted to you.

Related content

  1. Houses in multiple occupation
  2. How the application is dealt with
  3. Can anyone object?
  4. How much does it cost?