Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Do I need planning permission?

Not all development that you carry out to your house or in your garden needs planning permission.

Some small alterations and extensions can be carried out without planning permission. This is called 'permitted development'.

Is it permitted?

Find out about:

Please watch our video for more information.

Certificate of lawfulness

If you think it is permitted development, you should apply for a certificate of lawfulness from us. These cost half of what planning permission does.

You can search for existing and proposed certificates of lawfulness (using the 'application type' drop down). As these are permitted they will not have any representations (objections) against them.

Planning permission and building warrants

If the alteration needs planning permission see how to make a planning application or apply for listed building consent.

You may also need a building warrant - see building warrants and regulations.

If in doubt, contact our Planning and Building Standards office for advice.

If you live in a council house please contact your local area housing office

More information

Please see Householder permitted development rights from the Scottish Government.

Legal stuff 

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2011 explains what householder developments are permitted and what development you will need to make a planning application for.