Allotments and food growing
COVID-19 update: Given the physical and mental health benefits associated with growing your own food, council-managed sites have remained open and are operating in line with current government guidance on Covid-19. Although we have inevitably experienced some delays, plans to develop new sites have now resumed following the approval of the Food Growing Strategy in December 2020.
Allotments and community growing areas encourage healthy lifestyles through growing your own food and taking regular exercise, as well as improving mental wellbeing. Allotments are also very sociable places to be and can be small communities in themselves.
The exact number of plots can change regularly based on whether we need to merge or sub-divide plots to accommodate new allocations. We currently manage 3 allotment sites and 1 raised bed site and also have 1 further allotment site due for completion around Spring 2021:
- Allers in East Kilbride (107 plots)
- Richmond in Rutherglen (19 plots)
- Fernbrae Meadows in Cathkin (70 plots)
- Murray Recreation raised beds in East Kilbride (70 plots)
- Lammermoor, East Kilbride (under construction)
Plotholders are required to sign a lease, accepting responsibility for their plot and agreeing to adhere to the rules and regulations. Regular inspections are undertaken and failing to keep your allotment up to an acceptable standard may result in your lease being terminated.
However because of their popularity there is a lengthy waiting list and the council are currently working towards the requirements of the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015. A review of charges has now been undertaken to take account of the requirement to offer plots up to 250m2. Following consultation, a charging framework has been introduced for new allotment and raised bed sites and a review of charges for existing allotment sites will be subject to review to bring these into line with the new charging framework in due course.
The annual charges for existing sites are as follows:
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot £29.28
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot concession £18.95
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot £14.98
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot concession £9.31
- Richmond Allotments, Rutherglen full plot £8.99, no concessions
To be eligible for a concession at Allers Allotments you must be 60 years or over.
Payments can be made by cheque or card by phone but you will be given instructions when we write to tell you that you have been given an allotment.
- If you are an existing plotholder and you require a larger plot please complete the online form to be added to the waiting list
- Plots are only available to residents of South Lanarkshire and you are required to keep your contact details updated so that we can keep in touch otherwise you could be removed from the list
|Allotments new sites (full price)||50m2||100m2||250m2|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. water + portaloo)||£31.50||£63.00||£157.50|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£23.50||£47.00||£117.50|
|Allotments new sites (concession)||50m2||100m2||250m2|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. water + portaloo)||£23.63||£47.25||£118.13|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£17.62||£35.25||£88.12|
|Raised bed type ( full price per annum)||5m2 per annum|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. Water + portaloo)||£10.38|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£7.79|
|Raised bed type (concession per annum)||5m2 per annum|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. Water + portaloo)||£7.78|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£5.84|
Even if you have your own garden or just a window box you may be interested in our Community Growing Toolkit.
We have created a storyboard packed full of information about food growing and allotments.