Allotments and food growing
COVID-19 update: Given the benefits associated with growing your own food, Council managed sites have remained open and are operating in line with current government guidance on Covid-19. Projects to develop new sites have been on hold and will resume as and when lockdown restrictions allow however please note that timescales for approving the draft Food Growing Strategy and reducing the waiting list have inevitably been affected.
Allotments and community growing areas encourage healthy lifestyles through growing your own food and taking regular exercise, as well as improving mental wellbeing. Allotments are also very sociable places to be and can be small communities in themselves.
We own and manage 3 allotment sites and 1 raised bed site:
- Allers in East Kilbride (105 plots)
- Richmond in Rutherglen (19 plots)
- Fernbrae Meadows in Cathkin (67 plots)
- Murray Recreation raised beds in East Kilbride (70 plots)
Plotholders are required to sign a lease, accepting responsibility for their plot and agreeing to adhere to the rules and regulations. Regular inspections are undertaken and failing to keep your allotment up to an acceptable standard may result in your lease being terminated.
However because of their popularity there is a lengthy waiting list and the council are currently working towards the requirements of the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015. A review of charges has now been undertaken to take account of the requirement to offer plots up to 250m2. Following consultation, a charging framework has been introduced for new allotment and raised bed sites and a review of charges for existing allotment sites will be undertaken in 2019/20.
The charges for existing sites are as follows:
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot £28.99
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot concession £18.76
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot £14.83
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot concession £9.22
- Richmond Allotments, Rutherglen full plot £8.90, no concessions
To be eligible for a concession at Allers Allotments you must be 60 years or over.
Payments can be made by cheque or card by phone but you will be given instructions when we write to tell you that you have been given an allotment.
- If you are an existing plotholder and you require a larger plot please complete the online form to be added to the waiting list
- Plots are only available to residents of South Lanarkshire and you are required to keep your contact details updated so that we can keep in touch otherwise you could be removed from the list
|Allotments new sites (full price)||50m2||100m2||250m2|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. water + portaloo)||£31.00||£62.00||£155.00|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£23.00||£46.00||£115.00|
|Allotments new sites (concession)||50m2||100m2||250m2|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. water + portaloo)||£23.25||£46.00||£116.25|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£17.25||£34.50||£86.25|
|Raised bed type ( full price per annum)||5m2 per annum|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. Water + portaloo)||£10.28|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£7.71|
|Raised bed type (concession per annum)||5m2 per annum|
|Fully serviced (multiple services e.g. Water + portaloo)||£7.71|
|Part serviced (1 service e.g. water)||£5.78|