Allotments and food growing
Allotments and community growing areas encourage healthy lifestyles through growing your own food and taking regular exercise, as well as improving mental wellbeing. Allotments are also very sociable places to be and can be small communities in themselves.
We own and manage two formal allotment sites:
- Allers in East Kilbride (90 plots)
- Richmond in Rutherglen (17 plots)
However because of their popularity there is a lengthy waiting list and the council are currently working towards the requirements of the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act2015.
Each year allotment holders sign an annual lease, accepting responsibility for their plots and agreeing to adhere to the rules and regulations. Regular inspections are undertaken and failing to keep your allotment up to an acceptable standard may result in your lease being terminated.
The charges are as follows:
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot £27.35
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride full plot concession £17.70
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot £14
- Allers Allotments, East Kilbride half plot concession £8.70
- Richmond Allotments, Rutherglen full plot £8.40, no concessions
To be eligible for a concession at Allers Allotments you must be 60 years or over.
Payments can be made by cheque or card by phone but you will be given instructions when we write to tell you that you have been given an allotment.
- If you are an existing plotholder and you require a larger plot please complete the online form to be added to the waiting list.
- You may be offered a smaller plot until a larger one becomes available, however you will retain your place on the waiting list.
- Plots are only available to residents of South Lanarkshire and you are required to keep your contact details updated so that we can keep in touch otherwise you could be removed from the list.