Education Resources Psychological Service
South Lanarkshire Psychological Services
The Psychological Service is part of Education Resources within South Lanarkshire Council. The service is made up of psychologists, educational psychologists in training, clerical and administrative staff and a research assistant.
The vision of South Lanarkshire Council Psychological Services is using psychology to empower all South Lanarkshire’s children and young people to thrive.
Our purpose is promoting wellbeing, learning, inclusion and equity for all South Lanarkshire’s children and young people.
We do this through:
- Providing children and young people (aged 0-19) with the support and encouragement they need to achieve their full potential, by working collaboratively with parents, carers, teachers and wider professionals.
- Working at a range of levels across the authority to support inclusion, raise attainment, and promote wellbeing, (individual child and family, school, authority).
- Delivering the 5 core functions (assessment, consultation, intervention, research and training/development).
- Providing advice to South Lanarkshire Education Resources, and other professional colleagues, on how everyone can work effectively together to achieve the best outcomes for every child.
Educational Psychologists use their knowledge of psychology, child development and learning to help children and young people make the most of their lives, particularly in education.
Our work is done in the context of our values which were identified through an exercise in 2022:
- Child centred
- Solution focused
- With a drive to make a difference through relationships
All Educational Psychologists are Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered. The service provides placements for Educational Psychologists in Training, who undertake practice under supervision, and is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) for this purpose.
There are offices in three areas, serving our four localities. These provide an educational psychological service to children young people and families, with a key link to all South Lanarkshire education establishments.
The following link provides a fuller description of the breadth of work completed by an educational psychology service:
- Education Resources Psychological Service
- Working with children, young people and families
- Why Psychological Services might be consulted about your child
- How can I contact my child's psychologist?