BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Essential maintenance

- some services such as reporting road/lighting faults, online mapping and taxi testing are unavailable this week. See more info

Renting from a private landlord

Many people rent from private landlords, who must be registered with the council's Landlords Registration Scheme

Properties are advertised through letting or estate agents, local newspapers, shops and supermarkets. Students can also contact their college or university accommodation service for help.

Most private landlords charge a refundable deposit at the start of the tenancy (normally one month's rent, but by law, no more than two months), covering any damage, other than normal wear and tear, to the property or furnishings during your tenancy.

It is illegal to charge for adding names to an accommodation list, granting a tenancy or drawing up tenancy agreements.  

The Housing and Property Chamber has helpful advice and information on private renting for tenants and landlords covering their rights and responsibilities.