BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Essential maintenance

- some services such as reporting road/lighting faults, online mapping and taxi testing are unavailable this week. See more info

Certificates of Compliance

If you are opening a new pub, hotel or off-licence or have upgraded your premises you need a certificate of compliance from Environmental Health. This is often called a Section 50 Certificate under Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and only applies if you will be selling alcohol.

How to apply

Complete a Section 50 licence application form.

How the application is dealt with

Bring or send, together with a detailed set of plans to Environmental Services. You will certify that the premises do comply, or will comply, with the requirements of the Food Hygiene (Scotland) Regulations 2006 on completion of proposed works.

The application will also have to be checked by Enterprise Resources who will check that the premises comply or will comply with building regulations and planning conditions.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted so you will not get tacit consent. If you haven't heard from us within 28 days contact Environmental Services and we will let you know about your application's progress.

Can anyone object?


How much does it cost?

From 1 April 2024, the cost of a Section 50 Certificate from Environmental Services, and each of the certificates required from Planning Services and Building Standards Services is £161.05 per certificate.