Click to listen

Supported care

We need people who can offer a home and support to a young person who has been looked after by the Council.

What is supported care?

Supported carers offer accommodation to young people over 16 who have previously been in the care of the Council.

If you think you could give a young person a home and teach them the skills they need to live independently we'd like to hear from you. It could be simple and everyday jobs like ironing, cooking and cleaning, as well as the more complex tasks of developing social skills and relationships.

Who can apply?

Almost anyone. Supported carers are as varied as the young people they look after. You can be single, married, or in a long term relationship. You can have your own home, rent a house, or be receiving housing benefit. You need to have a spare bedroom, be over 21 years and have time in your life to offer a young person.

Who needs a place with a supported carer?

Young people aged 16-21 years who have been living away from home in a children's house, residential school, with a foster carer or another place organised by social work resources, and who will not be returning home.

Related content

  1. Supported care
  2. Preparation and assessment
  3. Finances
  4. Support

Family Placement Team

Phone: 0303 123 1008
Email: Family Placement Team