Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Services for people with sight or hearing difficulties

Who is the service for?

The service is available to everyone in the South Lanarkshire area who has a visual loss or hearing difficulties, including deaf or deafblind people and their families and carers.

Who are the sensory impairment team?

The team is made up of rehabilitation officers and assistants who will try and help you to overcome difficulties you might be having. 

What services does the team offer?

A member of the team will work with you to identify your needs and plan support. Such support may include:

  • assessing and providing appropriate equipment to help with daily living
  • providing training and instruction on how to use equipment
  • developing your independent living skills
  • help you with some communication problems you might be having
  • supporting you if you have been registered Severely Sight Impaired (Blind) or Sight Impaired (Partially Sighted)
  • giving you and your carers information, advice and support
  • giving you information about other useful organisations
  • improving your mobility following sight loss
  • encouraging you to use the wider community to help you to take part in social and educational opportunities
  • helping you to be as independent as you can be

Fire and Smoke Alarms

The law on fire alarms is changing, meaning all Scottish homes will need to have interlinked alarms by February 2022. Interlinked means if one goes off, they all go off, and it is the property owner’s responsibility for meeting the new standard.

Guidance and further information can be found on the Scottish Fire and Rescue website and the Scottish Government website.

For film clips, with BSL (British Sign Language) and subtitles (captions), please see links below:

Scottish Government new Fire Alarms Standards advert, includes voice-over

Scottish Government Fire Alarms leaflet

How to ask for services

You or someone acting for you should submit a social work enquiry form. Alternatively, you can contact your local social work office on 0303 123 1008 and ask to make a referral to the Sensory Impairment Team.

British Sign Language (BSL) users can contact us via Scotland's on-line BSL interpreting video relay service (VRS).

Related content

  1. Services for people with sight or hearing difficulties
  2. See Hear
  3. See Hear Summary Report
  4. Further support