Click to listen

School placing requests

Normally, children attend the school that serves the area where they live. However, there are times when parents want their children to go to another school.

If you want your child to go to another school you can make a placing request by completing one of the online forms listed below:

If you have any difficulties with the online form or require a paper copy of the form, please contact Education Support Services on 01698 454102 or email

If you live in South Lanarkshire and decide to make a placing request, we will not reserve a place at your catchment school until we have made a decision on the placing request. If your placing request is not accepted and all places at your local school are filled, you will be offered a place at the next nearest appropriate South Lanarkshire school.

If your child is due to start Primary One in August, you must still register your child at the catchment primary school even if you intend to make a placing request.

The best time to submit placing requests for the next school session is from 16 January until 15 March and you should receive a response no later than 30 April. Completed forms should be returned to Education Resources, Council Offices, Almada Street, Hamilton, ML3 0AA.

If we grant the place, we will let you know if your child can join at the start of the new session in August. If we receive your request after 15 March, we will let you know our decision within two months.

If your application is unsuccessful we will contact you and provide further information on what to do next. If you wish to appeal the decision, you can complete a placing request appeal application form

For more information on placing requests, including who has priority for places, reasons for refusal and the appeals process, please read the information contained in the placing request application form.

The Scottish Government has produced a booklet for parents on choosing a school - download the booklet.

Education support services helpline

Phone: 0303 123 1023
Email: Education support services helpline

Council Tax privacy statement

Why we collect information about you

We collect and hold information about you, and those in your household, to administer and collect Council Tax, including assessment of your entitlement to benefits, discounts and/or exemptions. We will comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and retain your information in accordance with the Act.

We will ask for your contact information and use this to contact you about your Council Tax account..

How we use your information

We will use your information for the administration and collection of Council Tax. We may also use your personal details to help prevent and detect crime and/or when required by law and if necessary share it with other public bodies for those purposes. We will not use your personal details for any other purpose without getting your consent first. You may have been asked to give this additional consent at the time when you originally contacted us, for example in an additional section on an application form.

Sharing your information

We will only share information with other organisations where it is necessary, either to comply with a legal obligation, or where permitted under the Data Protection Act, for example, where sharing is necessary for us to carry out the Council Tax function or if there is a public interest to do so such as the prevention and/or detection of crime (see below). This could include the need to disclose sensitive or confidential information such as medical details to other organisations. We may disclose information when necessary to prevent risk of harm to an individual.

At no time will your information be passed to external organisations for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use without first getting your consent.

We participate in anti-fraud data matching exercises carried out by other agencies such as the National Fraud Initiative (operated on behalf of Audit Scotland) and the Housing Benefit Matching Service (conducted on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions). We have a duty to manage public funds properly. As a result, we will use the information you provide to make sure all amounts we are owed are paid on time (for example, by identifying people who have not paid Council Tax and to help people who are entitled to benefits to claim them).

We may also share your information with debt management organisations engaged by us and the courts in relation to outstanding money owed. We may also share your information for the same purposes with other public organisations, including neighbouring councils that handle public funds, and with the police. We may also share your details with other organisations, including credit reference agencies, to help prevent and detect fraud and to confirm who is resident at an address.


Where external contractors are appointed to process information on our behalf, there are contracts which require them to keep personal information safe and prohibits them from doing anything with your personal data other than following our instructions.

Statistics and reports

We may use your information (and the occupier’s if different) for related audit, statistics or management information. Personal details will not be used to identify you (and/or the occupier if different) in any reports or analysis or shared with other parts of the council or anyone else. The Council is the data controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998. The Council’s Privacy Policy sets out the high level principles we operate to in using people's personal data.

Last updated 27 January, 2017