Private landlord registration
All private landlords letting residential property in Scotland must have, or have applied for, registration in the national Register of Landlords.
How to apply
- online at Landlord Registration Scotland and you'll get a 10% discount. This option enables you to register properties in several council areas at the same time
- fill out the Landlord Registration Application form
Information you will need:
- your address/es for the last five years
- date of birth
- names you are known by
- addresses, including postcodes, of all the properties you let
- the names and addresses of any agents you use
- information on any convictions or court/tribunal judgements
If the property is jointly owned, each of the owners should register. Nominate one person as the lead owner who will pay the full fee and receive 100% discount for the joint owners. Certain properties are exempt from registering. Details and information regarding exemptions are available from Landlord Registration Scotland or contact our Landlord Registration Team for advice.
How the application is dealt with
If your application is approved, your name and contact details or your agent's contact details will be available to the public on the online Register of Landlords. This will allow the public to check the property is registered.
Can anyone object?
If your application is refused, you won't be allowed to register initially but we can advise you what improvements should be made to allow you to register in the future. If your registration is refused, your rights of appeal will be explained.
How much does it cost?
It costs £55 to register as a landlord, £55 to register as an agent and £11 for each property (there is a 10% discount if you complete the registration online).
If the property is already registered as a house in multiple occupation, this fee is discounted.
Registration lasts for three years.
For more information contact the Landlord Registration Team. Information and answers to some of the most frequently asked questions are on the Scottish Government website.
You may also be interested to find out more about the Landlord Accreditation Scheme which is a voluntary scheme set up to promote and support Landlords.
To cancel your registration
- log into your Landlord Registration account at http://www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk/
- enter your username and password
- delete each rental property by clicking on the X, and then click on the X beside your name
Alternatively please send your request to email@example.com for attention.