Click to listen

Registering and voting

Register to vote

The next elections are the Scottish Local Government Elections (Council).

You must be on the Register of electors (voters roll) and be 16 years or over on the day of poll to be able to vote.

You can watch this signed video from the Electoral Commission for more information.

You may need the following, if you have them:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your passport if you’re a British citizen living abroad

You need to be on the register of electors to vote in elections and referendums.

Am I registered to vote?

If you are already registered to vote and are on the register of electors (voters roll) for the South Lanarkshire area you do not need to re-register.

To vote in the Scottish Local Government Elections on Thursday 4 May 2017 you must be registered to vote by:

  • midnight on Monday 17 April 2017

To find out if you are registered to vote contact the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO).

The  register of electors (voters roll) contains details of everyone who has registered to vote. It is used to determine who can vote at elections while the register is in force. A new register is published at least once a year, usually on or shortly before 1 December.

You can register to vote if

  • you are a British or Irish citizen
  • you are a European Union Citizen
  • you are a Commonwealth Citizen
  • you are 16 or over - 16 or over for Scottish Parliamentary elections and Local Government (Council) elections
  • you are a British citizen living abroad (as long as you were registered to vote as a resident in the UK within the last 15 years)

For more information contact:

Election Office

Phone: 0303 123 1019
Email: Election Office