Pilot scheme to introduce free breakfast clubs
The first stage of a pilot scheme to introduce free breakfast clubs was started in five of our primary schools following the Easter break 2018.
There are 45 primary schools across our area which had breakfast clubs operating prior to the pilot - these clubs will continue with the same opening times, charging models etc throughout session 2018/19 and in the 2019/20 school session when the rollout is complete all schools will have free access to a breakfast club
The second stage of the pilot programme will scale up to 40 schools and will be allocated across rural, urban, ASN and mainstream schools across each of the four geographical areas of South Lanarkshire. All parents from those schools involved in the second phase have been notified.
Timeline for the pilot is:
- Introduction of breakfast club in five schools April to May 2018
- Introduction of breakfast club in a further 35 schools from August 2018
- Initial evaluation of breakfast club pilot December 2018
- Final evaluation of breakfast club pilot April 2019
- Full roll out of breakfast clubs August 2019
The proposal to begin implement free breakfast clubs was one of a number of new initiatives agreed on 28 February 2018 by the council’s Executive Committee.