Secondary school transport - consultation
We are consulting on the proposal to alter the distance that a mainstream secondary school pupil must live from their catchment school to qualify for free school transport, from more than 2 miles to more than 3 miles.
The proposal document and consultation period
Following a request from parents wishing more time to consider the proposal, the council has agreed to extend the consultation period for 2 weeks. The consultation will now close on 15 March 2024.
Full details of the proposal are in the Consultation Proposal document, as per the Schools (Consultation) (Scotland) Act 2010.
If you would like a paper copy of the proposal document, please phone 01698 455698. Copies are available for inspection from the Council Offices, Almada Street, Hamilton, ML3 0AA, from libraries and schools.
Safe walking routes and qualifying addresses
For more information on safe walking routes and qualifying addresses please see the Safe walking routes and distance qualifying addresses page.
Roads officers do not undertake assessments for every walking route that exists. If parents are concerned about the safety of their child's route to school, they should request a road safety assessment to be carried out by completing the safe walking route concern form.
Frequently asked questions for parents/carers
We have added the answers to some common questions we have been receiving from parents/carers on the Frequently asked questions for parents/carers page.
Completing the survey
If you want to make a representation on the proposal, please complete the online survey form.
Written submissions can also be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to
- South Lanarkshire Council, Education Resources (Central Support Team), Transport - Consultation Response, Hamilton ML3 0AA
If you want to attend a public meeting, please call 01698 455698 or email email@example.com to book a place, and select a time slot between 5pm – 8pm.
- Clydesdale area: Monday 29 January 2024 at Lanark Grammar School
- Hamilton area: Tuesday 30 January 2024 at Holy Cross High School
- Rutherglen/Cambuslang area: Wednesday 31 January 2024 at Trinity High School
- East Kilbride area: Thursday 1 February 2024 at St Andrew’s and St Bride’s High School
- Secondary school transport - consultation
- Walking routes and distance qualifying addresses
- Frequently asked questions for parents/carers - updated 12 February 2024