Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Smoke and fire alarms

Smoke and fire alarms - private renting and landlords

If you are a private landlord tenant, your landlord is responsible for installing interlinked fire smoke and fire alarms.

Private landlords have been required to do this since 2019. If you are unsure whether you have an interlinked smoke alarm and fire alarms installed, or have any concerns or questions, speak to your landlord regarding this.

Smoke and fire alarms for deaf or deafblind

Under the Equality Act, tenants (both social and private renting) can ask their landlord to make certain changes to the property that are needed to avoid the disabled person being at a disadvantage, and appropriate fire and smoke alarms for deaf or deafblind people fit into that category. If you or someone in your household falls into one of these groups, please advise your landlord.

Further information

Go to website for home fire safety information.

Related content

  1. Smoke and fire alarms
  2. Smoke and fire alarms - council and social tenants
  3. Smoke and fire alarms - private renting and landlords
  4. Smoke and fire alarms - owner occupier