Council website will be unavailable

from 8.30am on Wednesday 10 August for essential maintenance for around an hour. We apologise for any inconvenience

Worried about food

If you worry about food, there are different solutions from community, council or government supports.

See below the different options available and you might also want to look at the page Managing your money for benefit and financial advices and other type of support.

If what you need is not here, you can also call the council Community Wellbeing Helpline: 0303 123 1009.

Community food organisations and food banks

In all areas of South Lanarkshire, community food organisations can help you with food provision and provision of essential items such as sanitary products, toiletries and household cleaning products. Some of them also offer lunch or café. Food coops and food larders are also good options to access affordable food.

Look at the map to find community food organisations or food banks near you.

To access support, you may need a referral from a frontline worker or care professional such a support worker, health visitor, social worker or someone from a voluntary organisations who offers support or advice.

You can also look at the map of voluntary and third sector organisations to find other types of support.

Local business delivering food

Many businesses from local shops to major supermarkets can deliver food to your doorstep and might be prioritising self-isolated and vulnerable individuals and families.

Free school meals

Free school meals could save you approximately £323 per academic year. Entitlement can be checked at schools or see the eligibility criteria.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from South Lanarkshire Council there is no need for you to apply online, information hold by the council are used to automatically award free school meals to eligible families. 

Best Start Food Payment 

Best Start Foods is a prepaid card that you can use to buy healthy food for children under 3. You can use the card in shops and online.  You can find out how to use your Best Starts Foods card in shops on the Scottish Government website.

You can get Best Start Foods:

  • if your child is the right age for a payment
  • whether you are in work or not, as long as you're on certain payments or benefits
  • as long as you are the parent of a child, or the main person looking after the child.

You can apply online on the Best Start Food website. If you need help, or you'd prefer to apply by phone, you can call 0800 182 2222 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).

Other useful links

NHS- Live well Eat Well

Love food Hate waste

Food hygiene and safety tips