How to pay
Payments should always be made to the council direct.
Council Tax is paid every month from April to January. Before you start paying your Council Tax, you will need your:
- Council Tax reference number (eg XXXXXXXXX)
- Account name on your Council Tax bill
- Bank and/or credit or debit card details
Important: We do NOT accept discounted payments offered by other/third party companies. If you have been asked to make payments by an other/third party, you can contact Consumer and Trading Standards for advice.
Customers who pay by Direct Debit can win a year free from Council Tax payments. Sign up to pay by Direct Debit and you will automatically be entered into our prize draw in April of each year.
If you pay by Direct Debit
- You can choose to pay every month on either the 1st, 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th of the month
- Your Direct Debit may need up to 14 days to be set up
- We'll send you a new bill to confirm your payment dates and how much you will pay each month
- There is no need to cancel your Direct Debit after your January payment and start it again in April - your Direct Debit can be left running but no payments will be taken in February or March.
If you pay Online
Payments must reach your Council Tax account by the 1st of the month.
If you pay by Phone
Payments must reach your Council Tax account by the 1st of the month. Contact our 24-hour payments call centre on 0303 123 1005 to make payment.
Problems paying your Council Tax
If you're having problems paying your Council Tax bill, please contact us straight away. Don't let the problem get worse.
You can register online to receive your Council Tax bill and any other information about your Council Tax electronically.
Do you know you can register to view your Council Tax account online?
You can sign into your account at any time to check your balances, find out how much you need to pay or view/print off your bill. You can also check if any discounts, exemptions or reductions have been applied to your bill.
All you need is your Council Tax account number and an email address to get started. For more information and to register go to Myaccount
24 hour payment call centrePhone: 0303 123 1005