Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Council Tax - single person discount review

Most frequent questions

Why have I been sent this letter?

We are reviewing the circumstances of all people who are claiming the single person discount. We are simply verifying your validity to claim single person discount.

How do I complete the form?

Please fill out the form online and enter your PIN number, Account number and Postcode provided on the letter.

Alternatively, if you are the only adult occupant of your property, then simply sign and date the form at the bottom and return. Do not write in any of the boxes provided and do not include anyone under the age of 18 years.

If there is more than one adult living at the property, then please provide their name, date of birth and the date they moved into the property. If they are exempt from paying Council Tax, please provide the reason why. See the disregard flyer enclosed. Sign and date at the bottom once completed and return using the prepaid envelope provided.

What happens if I don’t complete the form?

We will assume that your situation has changed and will remove your discount, effective from the last time we checked your eligibility which will be confirmed in your new bill.

What credit information do you hold on me?

We don’t hold any credit information on you, if you want to see your credit file please contact any of the major credit reference agencies:

What happens if the form is returned after the 14 day deadline given?

As long as the completed form is returned within a reasonable amount of time you will not be penalised. If the form is very late, you may end up receiving a reminder letter. Please complete the form as before.

Why am I being asked to return my information to a Nottingham address?

All returned forms are handled by a centrally based local government scanning facility. They then process the documents on behalf of many local authorities.

What should I do if someone is using my address for correspondence only?

Include their name and full residential address, this will then be verified.

I have already informed the Council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?

Yes, include all the details of your current situation.

I receive mail for previous occupants, what should I do about this?

You need to write on the envelope that the person no longer lives at the address and return it to the sender.

A friend stays with me 3 or 4 nights a week, does this mean that I am no longer eligible?

If your friend keeps their belongings at your house then your address will be classed as their main residence therefore you are no longer eligible.

  • Who does your friend stay with the other 3 nights a week? If s/he stays at various addresses your address will still be classed as their main address
  • Any other reason, please provide an explanation of your current situation.

What should I do if my circumstances are not covered in the examples above?

If you are still unsure how to complete the form, or your circumstances are not covered please fill out the online form here, select the fourth option ‘Other (My circumstances are not covered by the categories above’ and write an explanation of your current situation.

Related content

  1. Council Tax - single person discount review
  2. Most frequent questions