Music tuition in schools
Instrument tuition is offered to pupils from P4 onwards, depending on the instrument, the pupil's ability (as determined by the instructor) and the number of places available.
Tuition is provided via schools, by visiting instructors, as part of the Instrumental Music Service (IMS).
If your child has been selected for tuition, please note the following:
- pupils in P5 will get one year of free tuition, thereafter charges will apply as detailed below
- students undertaking any SQA music award (S4-S6) within school are exempt from paying the annual contribution
- any S3 pupils opting to undertake an SQA music award in S4 will not be required to make payment for block three tuition (March-June)
- pupils will get a minimum of 30 lessons per school year, delivered over three blocks
- pupils will be encouraged to participate in school ensembles, bands and performances. When pupils reach an appropriate standard, they may also be invited to join a South Lanarkshire orchestra, band or ensemble.
A concessionary scheme for music tuition charging will take effect from 1 August 2014. If you are eligible for free school meals, you will also be able to apply to a music tuition concession. Contact Education Support Services by email or phone 01698 454102 for more information.
We will send you an invoice once your application has been accepted; these are issued in September, December and March each year. You will need the reference number from this invoice before you can make a payment. Once you have your invoice reference number, you can pay:
- by phone: Customer Service Centre on 0303 123 1005*
- online using the Council invoices option
* You can pay with most major credit or debit cards (except Diners Card or American Express).
For more information contact Education Support Services.