e.g. school holidays, council tax, jobs, housing benefit - Advanced

Registering a stillbirth

It can be daunting to have to face registering a stillbirth. This information will help you through the process but if you would prefer to speak to someone personally, contact the Registration office.

A child stillborn in Scotland can be registered in any Scottish registration office. If the still-birth happens elsewhere, it cannot be registered in Scotland even if the mother usually lives in Scotland.

A stillbirth should be registered within 21 days. In special circumstances a short postponement can be arranged by contacting the registrar.

Documents to be produced when registering a still-birth are:

  • the certificate of stillbirth (Form 6) issued by the doctor or midwife
  • the marriage certificate of the child's parents if married to each other (if available).

If no certificate is produced, the registrar will ask the mother/father to sign a form of declaration.

Licensing Services

(select option 7)

Phone: 0303 123 1015
Email: Licensing Services