Click to listen

Nationality checking service

We are working in partnership with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to provide a nationality checking service.

If you are applying for British citizenship, we can help by checking your application and forwarding it to UK Visas and Immigration.

As there are only a few councils offering this service appointments are available to all UK residents.

Unless you are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen must now meet the knowledge of language and life requirement by passing the Life in the UK test
and either:

  • have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, that is on the Home Office’s list of recognised tests and was taken at an approved test centre or
  • have an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English or (ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country other than Canada; or
  • be a national of a majority English speaking country

The Nationality Checking Service does not ensure that your application will be approved or that the Home Office will not request further documents. Our advisers cannot act as your agent or answer enquiries about your application progress.

The nationality checking service does not offer:

  • a priority service
  • advice on nationality or documents required other than those required for the application form 
  • advice on other matters such as, visas, immigration or asylum

Our advisers are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

What we can do for you

The nationality checking service adviser will check your application and copy the required documents to be certified and forwarded to UKVI.

They will also take payment details for the application and send these to UKVI for processing.

This means that applicants no longer have to post important documents for example passports to UKVI.

The application(s) and supporting documents will usually be posted within 24 hours of the appointment using the Royal Mail Special Delivery Service. At your appointment you will be issued with a reference number which you can use to check when your application is received by UKVI through the Royal Mail Tracking Service.

What documents do you need?

  • an up-to-date application form fully completed - this is available from UK Visas and Immigration
  • payment for UKVI to consider your application - this can be paid by cheque or debit/credit card
  • appropriate supporting documentation

The documentation needed will vary according to the type of application you are making. Advice can be found at

It is your responsibility to make sure that you complete the most up to date application form. It is also essential that you read the accompanying guidance notes before making your appointment. No refund will be given if you fail to attend your appointment or provide the correct information and documents.

How much does it cost?

£87 for a single adult
£45 for each child under the age of 18

The nationality checking service fee is in addition to the Home Office fees.  This fee is non-refundable.

Cancellation policy

If the appointment is within 5 working days no refund will be given for any amendments or cancellations.
Provided the appointment is not within 5 working days a £15 administration fee will be charged for any amendments.
If the appointment is cancelled at least 6 working days before the date of the appointment a £15 administration fee will be retained.


This service is by appointment only.

Appointments last around one hour. If you are aged 18 or over you must attend the appointment.

If you need assistance to book an appointment phone 01698 454259.

Complaints and feedback

If you are unhappy with our service, contact us and we will try to sort out any problems quickly.
If we can't sort out the problem or you don't want to complain through South Lanarkshire Council, you can contact the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner directly.